Best Bitcoin Exchanges to Trade & Buy Bitcoin Cryptocurrency 2020 list
Top 10 Best Bitcoin Exchanges to Buy & Trade Bitcoin & Cryptocurrency 2020 list
Although you should always do your own research before investing, the above table is the best bitcoin exchanges to buy bitcoin online. If you are new to cryptocurrency exchanges then check out our exchange finder section which breaks down all exchanges by different criteria. We rank exchanges by the following criteria:
- Best exchanges in different countries
- Best exchanges per exchange type
- Best exchanges that offer different fiat transactions
- Best exchanges for different payment methods
- Best exchanges for beginners
- Exchanges with the lowest fees
- Exchanges with the easiest verification process
- Largest exchanges by volume of transactions
We rank the exchanges first and fore-mostly by their security measures and how trust worthy they are considered to be. User feedback is essential for us to create a rounded view of each exchange, make sure to give your input on exchanges you regularly use and those that you have tried and discarded immediately.
For a list of all the exchanges we have reviewed, see the exchanges page.
How to buy bitcoin using this list of Bitcoin exchanges?
This list should be used as a guide, make sure to read our reviews on each exchange and ultimately make your own decision. All exchanges have their pros and cons, and you should make sure that the exchange you choose is suitable for you.
Hopefully the list of best bitcoin exchanges and cryptocurrency exchanges above will be of good use when buying and trading bitcoins. Each outstanding site should have detailed instructions. From here, one can easily figure out how to buy bitcoin with credit card, paypal, cash, bank transfers. Once you have got some coins check out the list of available wallets.
What is the top crypto exchange site to buy bitcoin in the above list?
It’s a tough question in my opinion. Each will have an upside compared to others. Check a few out and look up on forums to see what users are saying about the service provided, and which they think are the best Crypto Exchanges to buy bitcoin easily. Localbitcoins.com is a really cool crypto exchange p2p bitcoin exchange for beginners wanting to buy for their first time. The service is all over the world, meaning you can use euros, pounds, yen, Australian dollars, Swiss francs, Canadian dollars, krona, rubles, lira, rupees and so on.
If you pay by physical cash then you get to meet the person in real life. Alternatively you can do a fast bank transfer and the site will hold your coins in escrow for you once it goes through. Obviously there are more simple ways to start using a crypto exchanges and bitcoin exchange and buy altcoins. Some like to buy with paypal, but not many leading bitcoin exchanges accept this because of charge backs.
Having used localbitcoins myself, I found it a great way to sell bitcoins. Especially if you are trying to shift a lot, you can wait for the price you want and slowly sell, I found that despite the charge I got on average a better price than other exchanges.
Which are the largest exchanges to buy cryptocurrency?
Generally the biggest bitcoin exchanges to buy cryptocurrency will be toward the top of the above list. For example eToro, Bitfinex, Coinbase Pro (GDAX), Bitstamp, Coinbase (also the best usd bitcoin exchange) all represent large volume proportions. Daily volume varies, and therefore the world’s largest cryptocurrency exchange vary each day. Go to bitcoinity for a good list of all the best bitcoin exchange site to buy cryptocurrency and their proportional volumes. Some find this handy for arbitrage between markets.
What about the best cryptocurrency exchange?
Sadly, with the demise of Cryptsy there is a need for a new major first-rate cryptocurrency and Bitcoin exchange (aka altcoins). Having many medium-sized cryptocurrency exchange bitcoin sites is a better situation than having one large amazing option. Binance has now replaced Poloniex as the largest most amazing option to exchange bitcoin. Its platform is functional enough to have attracted tens of millions of new customer every month.
Things feel smooth when using Binance. All big and small trading pairs are offered and it is now possible to do cryptocurrency margin trading on major altcoins. This is a cool feature, but use it with caution as leveraged trading has a certain risk factor. Keep in mind that some of the best bitcoin exchange sites also do altcoins. Yobit, Bittrex, Cryptopia and Changelly, are great options worth checking out. Some even offer short selling on major coins.
You may also like to check the coin rankings & market capitalizations on coinkapp – which has a splendid comparisons list of the top cryptocurrencies. Alternatively, coinmarketcap offers a rather simplified list.
The best place to buy bitcoin securely
This is an important question to ask when choosing the best place to buy bitcoin. Yes, putting the words trustworthy bitcoin exchange and the best place to buy bitcoin in the same sentence seems like an oxymoron, especially when remembering the shiny days of MtGox (aka Empty-Gox). While the bitcoin protocol has never been hacked, many peripheral businesses have. Perhaps the best question to ask would be: which are the least secure bitcoin exchanges. Generally, those listed here are optimum and of good standing, but please proceed with caution. Remember never to leave more btc online than you can afford to loose.
A sample of some reviews below, or view our full cryptocurrency exchanges reviews!
Below are pros and cons of some of the most popular exchanges on the market.
eToro was one of the first CFD providers to offer cryptocurrencies on their platform. With an extremely easy to use interface, it is a huge attraction for beginners who are looking to invest in crypto for the first time. Buying crypto as a CFD is different to buying and owning the actual cryptocurrency, but does it really matter? We take a look at eToro in more detail.
- Increased liquidity allows for easier entries and exits, decreasing the likelyhood of slippage
- FCA, CySEC & ASIC regulated provides increased security
- Leverage means you do not need to put the full position down. Although caution is advised when using leverage
- Currently offers 14 cryptocurrencies
- You don’t own the underlying asset
* 76% of retail investor accounts lose money when trading CFDs with this provider. You should consider whether you can afford to take the high risk of losing your money.
Cryptoassets are highly volatile unregulated investment product. No EU investor protection. Your capital is at risk.
Coinbase Update: Coinbase buy and sell orders resolved but performance still ‘degraded’. Coinbase combine an attractive interface, a great site to get bitcoins with a debit card, and an insured online wallet for your digital currency. Over 30,000,000 users are signed up, including 75,000 merchants, and 15000 developer apps. Works well for European, and American customers. It started with just bitcoin trading but has now expended to include Bitcoin Cash, Ethereum & Litecoin. I’ve also written a comprehensive Coinbase review for more detail.
- The most user-friendly and trusted platform, currently has 200 million page-views per month
- Lots of long-time customers
- Online wallet with insurance
- Slightly more work needed when verifying account
Binance Update: Binance offers $250,000 reward for details that lead to arrest of hackers. The China-based cryptocurrency exchange began live trading in July 2017, so is fairly new to the crypto exchange world. However it has proven itself thus far to its clients, with its robust charting software and both basic and advanced interfaces attracting novice and expert traders. We’ve written an in depth analysis of Binance
- Low fees on transactions and withdrawals
- Offers a vast array of coins including typically rare coins
- The team has an excellent past in crypto and finance
- High liquidity allows for efficient entries and exits
- Clarification needed on how Chinese regulatory will affect the exchange
- New platforms require time to gain client trust
Bittrex Update: We’ve unlisted Bittrex from the ranking while new account registrations remain closed. I’ll be re-listing the exchange once new sign-ups are allowed. Currently only corporate accounts are being accepted, which is not ideal for cryptocurrency exchanges.
Update 2: Bittrex now claims they are compliant with SEC’s ICO rules.
Bittrex has earned it’s place as the new contender to the throne of world’s largest crypto exchange. Years of hard work and some lucky circumstances (BTC-e shut-down, Poloniex exodus, Cryptsy) have compounded a steady inflow of new users. It is a great place to trade bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies. I’ll let you read the detail in my Bittrex review, which has some important facts and analysis.
- Nearly 200 trading pairs
- Currently the most visited altcoin exchange with over 150 million monthly visits
- Trusted by millions of traders
- High volumes available for big trades
- New account registration temporarily disabled to cope with demand. Cannot scale as well as Poloniex or Coinbase
- Heavy vetting requirements – especially for a non-fiat exchange
- Minor scaling issues as users flow in to sing-up
Localbitcoins is quite a popular for p2p (person to person) transactions all over the world. Simply put, you interact directly with the guy selling to you. Out of all the bitcoin sites listed here, this is one of the first and most reputed. Escrow and dispute resolution is provided by the site. See my thorough review of Localbitcoins, I personally use it to cash out of positions quite often.
- Great way to meet people
- PayPal also available
- No verification needed in most cases
- Popular in all countries around the globe
- May take longer to conclude in-person transactions
- Risks associated with anonymous transactions
- Reports of ome seller bank accounts being been suspended after receiving money
CEX is one of those international bitcoin exchanges accepting euros, British pounds, US dollars, Russian Rubles, Ethereum, Zcash, and Dash. Needless to say, CEX is very popular within those currency regions. There is a no-nonsense landing page, giving you the option to buy or sell 100, 200, 500, or 1000 USD worth of Bitcoin. I like the transparency given to users about how much they will actually pay – even before they sign up. Good security practices, a modern and simple user interface, and both bank transfer & credit card purchases are available. CEX is indeed a good beginner-optimized alternative to Coinbase. Read the comprehensive Cex review for more details including fees, verification, & security.
- Bank transfer and credit card deposits
- Very easy to use & great for beginners
- Users know how much they will pay before even signing up
- Buying and selling Ethereum is available
- Recently Litecoin was unlisted
Kraken Update: In late 2017 Kraken was temporarily unlisted here following extensive trading engine and UI issues. Thankfully, in January 2018 the website underwent a successful migration and all systems are now reported to be functioning to everyone’s satisfaction.
Kraken works well through SEPA, has an easy verification process (expect 4-6 weeks vetting with current backlog) compared to Bitstamp, and is very knowledgeable when it come to cryptography and security. As of early 2017, this platform has been re-positioning themselves as a crypto exchange by adding multiple new altcoins. I’ve written an in-depth Kraken review with everything you need to know..
- Cheapest rates and fastest times for trading, depositing and withdrawing
- Work best for Europeans and North America
- Has successfully resloved site-wide timeouts and trading engine lag
- A recent code update caused the site to be offline for 3 days.
- Recently disabled stop-loss and other trading features without giving explanation to the community
- Site not as visually intuitive as Coinbase or Cex
GDAX is a cryptocurrency exchange that is great for technical traders and offers high levels of liquidity. Deposits are in USD and can be processed just as rapidly as withdrawls. Also happens to be the best ethereum exchange for serious players in this space. For more information on GDAX.
- An integral part of the trusted Coinbase brand
- Optimized to be a serious trading site
- More ID processing steps than on Chinese trading platforms
Xcoins describes itself as a Bitcoin lending service that allows traders to get bitcoins by using a credit card or PayPal. Due to charge back with paypal, buying cryptocurrency has been difficult however Xcoins claims to have found a way around it. Their unique peer-to-peer lending model connects lenders and borrowers and allows users to get bitcoins through a series of secure loans. Each secure loan can be paid with any PayPal-recognised payment method. Unlike regular cryptocurrency exchanges, borrowers that no longer want the bitcoin can get their money back. Lenders may also choose to join the platform for free.
- Two-factor authentication
- Good customer service
- Easy verification
- Users get their bitcoin immediately after paying the lender
- Low minimum loan amount
- Website was hacked in 2017
- No extensive features on the website
Update: Reports suggest Bitstamp will be sold to a South Korean gaming company. The price thought to be $350 million.
Bitstamp are big in Europe and, since 2011, have moved from Slovenia, and the United Kingdom in search of sound regulatory environments. Good volumes are available for larger trades. Well received by people using SEPA and credit cards. Both euro and US dollar deposits are accepted. I like Bitstamp because they really focus on being a pure bitcoin-only exchange (update: since 2017 Bitstamp have started adding popular cryptocoins). Please read my Bitstamp critique for analysis of factors such as security, fees, and the history.
- Card purchases available (visa mastercard and visa) in Europe and the USA.
- HQ Located in Luxembourg
- Good for large transactions yet easy to use for beginners
- Not available outside of EU and the USA